Monday, March 03, 2008

Day 3 of convalescent leave

And I'm watching "Sunrise Earth International".

This morning, it's the Li River in XingPing, China, where fisherman have trained cormorants (one of my favorite birds) to fish for them. They tie a string around the bird's throat at the base, so that the bird can not swallow the fish whole the way it would naturally. Then they kick it off of their little bamboo raft into the water, the birds catch two or three fish, they pick the bird up by having it stand on the pole they use to propel the boat and they make it "drop" (read: barf) the fish into a little basket.

This is almost as much fun as watching paint dry.

I need a hobby.

By the way, surgery went well. Looking at the pics from the orthoscope, which I really don't have a clue what they are, it looked like things were pretty fucked up in my shoulder. But they gave me this cool thing called "Game Ready". You load the box with ice and water and put on this bladder contraption over the appendage in question (my SHOULDER you perverts!). Then you set it and it pumps icy water through the bladder, and can also add compression. Makes for much less swelling, hence, much less pain. Apparently, this is the pro athlete's alternative to sitting in an ice bath. Sign me up.

Damn, I really do need a hobby, don't I?

No comments: